Iranian President put condition wearing hijab on news anchor, woman refused, then canceled interview

Ibrahim Raisi-Christiane Amanpour

Tehran: There is a lot of ruckus in Iran regarding the hijab. Recently, after the death of Mahsa Amini, many people have taken to the streets. After receiving the news of Mahasa Amini’s death, people protested and set vehicles on fire. Even the women are burning the hijab during the protest.

After the death of Amini in police custody, the fire of anger spread across the country. Meanwhile, Iranian President Ibrahim Raisi refused to appear in an interview just because. Because the female anchor who took the interview refused to wear the ‘hijab’.

Actually, the interview of Iranian President Ibrahim Raisi with an experienced female news anchor in America was scheduled. This interview was to be held at the United Nations General Assembly in New York. The President was to be interviewed by CNN’s Christiane Amanpour, who is of Iranian descent. But, at the last moment, the President refused to appear in the interview. Because the anchor did not agree to cover the head.

Recently, in a tweet, Christian said this, ‘After several weeks of planning, eight hours of lighting, cameras and translation equipment, we were all set, but just 40 minutes before the interview, there was a picture of President Ibrahim. The aide came, and told me that the President has asked me to wear a headscarf, as the holy month of Muharram and Safar is going on.

Ibrahim Raisi-Christiane Amanpour

Amanpour further said, ‘I politely refused to do so. We are in New York, where there is no law or tradition associated with headscarves. I told him (colleague) that no President of Iran has ever asked him to wear a headscarf in an interview outside Iran. It is being told that this was the first interview of the President of Iran in America.

In fact, 22-year-old Mehsa Amini was detained by the police in Iran on September 13 for not wearing a hijab. It is alleged that the police assaulted her in custody, due to which she went into a coma. Mahsa died three days after the incident.