Mumbai: A suspected case of food poisoning led to the hospitalization of around 170 students from an orphanage school in Sangli, Maharashtra, on Monday.
The students, aged between 5 and 15, complained of nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea after having dinner at the Samata Ashram School in Umdi.
They were first taken to a rural first aid center in Mudhal and then shifted to government hospitals in Sangli and Miraj for further treatment. Their conditions are said to be stable, an official said.
The Samata Ashram School provides education and shelter to more than 200 children of different age groups and genders.
The district administration has ordered an inquiry to find out the exact cause of the illness. The Social Welfare Department has been asked to submit a detailed report within 24 hours, the official said.