Washington: America’s Central Command said that by the end of last month, 30 to 44 percent of the work of bringing back American troops from Afghanistan was completed. US President Joe Biden aims to withdraw his entire army from the war-torn country by September 11 this year.
Giving updated information regarding the withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan till May 31, the US Central Command (Centcom) said that America has officially handed over more than six centers to the Ministry of Defense of Afghanistan. “As per estimates of US Central Command, 30 to 44 percent of this process has been completed,” it said in a statement on Tuesday.
President Biden announced in April that all US troops would be withdrawn from Afghanistan by September 11 this year. Centcom said that since the President’s decision, the Defense Ministry has brought back 300 C-17s (cargo aircraft) from Afghanistan and around 13,000 pieces of equipment have been handed over to the Defense Logistics Agency for disposal.
The US and the Taliban signed a historic agreement on 29 February 2020 in Doha to establish lasting peace and the withdrawal of American troops in war-torn Afghanistan.