New Delhi: voice cloning fraud is a type of scam in which cybercriminals use artificial intelligence to create a voice clone of a victim’s voice. This voice clone is then used to make phone calls or send voice messages to the victim, often in an attempt to scam them out of money.
To create a voice clone, scammers will typically need a small audio sample of the victim’s voice. This audio sample can be found online, or it can be recorded by the scammer. Once the scammers have an audio sample, they can use AI software to create a voice clone that sounds very similar to the victim’s original voice.
Once the voice clone is created, the scammers can use it to make phone calls or send voice messages to the victim. In these calls or messages, the scammers will often pretend to be a friend, family member, or co-worker of the victim. They may then ask the victim for money, or they may try to trick the victim into giving them personal information.
Voice cloning fraud is a relatively new type of scam, but it is becoming increasingly common. This is because AI voice cloning technology is becoming more sophisticated and accessible. As a result, it is now easier than ever for scammers to create realistic voice clones that can be used to trick victims.
Here are some tips to help you protect yourself from voice cloning fraud:
- Be suspicious of any phone calls or voice messages that come from someone you don’t know.
- If you receive a call or voice message from someone who sounds like a friend or family member, but you’re not sure if it’s them, ask them a question that only they would know the answer to.
- Never give out personal information, such as your bank account number or Social Security number, to someone you don’t know.
- If you think you may have been the victim of voice cloning fraud, report it to the police immediately.
- By following these tips, you can help protect yourself from this new and emerging type of scam.