Holika Dahan is done in the evening on Phalgun Purnima. This year Holika Dahan is on 07 March. The next day is the festival of Holi on 08 March. While Holika Dahan is a symbol of the victory of good over evil, on the other hand, it also reminds devotees of the tortures done on Prahlad by his father Hiranyakashyap, and his aunt Holika. Holika devotee wanted to kill Prahlad by burning him, but by the grace of Lord Vishnu Prahlad was saved and Holika was burnt to death. About the worship material, auspicious time, and method of worship for Holika Dahan.
Holika Dahan Pooja Material
From the day of Vasant Panchami, dry wood, dung cakes, dry grass, etc. are collected for Holika Dahan. Apart from these, gulal, colors, flowers, garland, turmeric, akshat, roli, water in a lota or kalash, batasha, coconut, barley, moong, wheat earrings, jaggery, incense, camphor, sweets, etc. are used for the worship of Holika Dahan.
Holika Dahan method
- Wear yellow, pink, or red colored clothes on the day of Holika Dahan. Do not wear white or black clothes on this day.
- After sunset, gather in the square or park of your city in Pradosh Kaal Muhurta, where Holika Dahan takes place. Also, take the material of Holika Puja along with it.
- On auspicious time, sit facing east or north. First of all worship Ganesha. After that, worship Holika while chanting Om Holikayai Namah Mantra.
- After that chant Om Prahladaya Namah and Om Nrisinghay Namah and worship Prahlad and Lord Narasimha according to the rituals.
- Now wrap raw yarn around Holika at least seven times. Offer worship material. After that light, a fire with camphor or lamp and do Holika Dahan. During this, keep the head covered with a cloth. Offer barley, grains, etc. in the fire.
- Eating wheat earrings after baking them in the fire keeps health good. Such is popular belief.
Holika Dahan Muhurta 2023
On March 07, the auspicious time for Holika Dahan is from 06:24 in the evening to 08:51 in the night.